The Salt Lake Masonic Temple, built in 1929, is a building that celebrates the classical tradition with artistic and architectural influences from Renaissance Italy, Colonial Virginia, Egyptian Temples, 14th Century English Courts, and Moorish Spain.
On Saturday, May 2nd from 10:00 A.M. through 2:00 P.M. there will be an open house for public tours and the opportunity to meet local Freemasons who will be happy to answer questions about the ancient fraternity. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the Utah Food Bank to help Utah’s Families and those in need.
The Temple is located at 650 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84102. See the PDF flyer for more details: http://www.utahgrandlodge.org/pdf/2015-flyer-SLCMTA.pdf
The Salt Lake City Masonic Temple has been the most publically visible jewel of Freemasonry in Utah for the last 79 years.
Located along South Temple, the egyptian faced building is the seventh home of Freemasonry in Salt Lake City, and is the current seat for the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Utah, the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite Orient of Utah, Grand York Rite Bodies for Utah, El Kalah Shrine, Grand Bodies for all the Masonic youth groups, and six Masonic Lodges.
Completed in 1927 and Dedicated to Worshipful Brother George Washington, the building consists of several lounges, Great and Lesser Halls, a Banquet Room, Auditorium, four Lodge rooms, and administrative offices. Each room is adorned uniquely bringing to Salt Lake City artistic and architectural influences from Renaissance Italy, Colonial Virginia, Egyptian Temples, 14th Century English Courts, and Moorish Spain.
The plans for the Temple began in the fall of 1920 when a small group of Salt Lake Freemasons met to discuss the feasibility of erecting a new Masonic Temple in the city. Their previous temple built in 1905 on the corner of Second East and First South Streets had been in constant use and the capacity of the building to handle the increasing membership and attendant usage was called into question. By 1925 the land had been purchased, and the details of interior furnishings were in the process of finalization.
Re-dedicated in a public ceremony during the 2002 Olympics, an annual Open House is held the first Saturday of May.